70 x 7 - The Amazing Power in Forgiveness.

The Bible verse addressing the number of times we should forgive our fellow brethren is one that may be very familiar with us - Matthew 18: 22.

21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
Matthew 18:21-22 King James Version (KJV)
 The highlighted words in that verse of the  NIV Bible says ""22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

I recall those days when I would literally calculate that figure and say, "well, the Lord wants me to forgive my neighbor 70*7 = 490 times". The next question that followed that was, how am I supposed to keep count of how many times my neighbor offends me?? Do I have to keep a "Black" book for them?
Now that I think about it, I am sure the Lord was shaking His Holy Head, laughing and saying "Oh this little child of mine, you will understand when it is time". .. and it is time.

Forgiveness is easy to say but much easier to do, with the power of the Holy Spirit. In your own human nature, it is not even possible. It is easy to say with your lips "I forgive you". However, to say it with your heart's conviction, the influence of the Holy Spirit is needed.

The number 7 has some form of reference as being Holy. why? God rested on the 7th day - the Sabbath and Blessed it. It is even a commandment -Remember to keep the Sabbath day Holy Exodus 20:8. The number is seen as "complete" - 7 days make a week..but let's not focus on the number itself but realize that Jesus Christ was fond of speaking in parables with symbols.

If 7 is Holy..Holy is Eternal..Eternal is Forever. IF I may re-quote our Lord Jesus Christ's response to Peter..He said "I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. Forever and forever.
He said 7 twice to emphasize on the importance of always forgiving one another.

Forgiveness is for our benefit.

You know that God is God right? and nothing you do can change that. Everything He commands us to do is for our benefit not his.
The Lord's prayer say "Forgive us our sins Lord as we forgive others" - this is telling our Heavenly Father that He should only forgive us as much as we forgive others. Our Lord Jesus being fully aware of our frailties - our natural inclination to sin, even unconsciously, knew how much we would need the Holy Father's never ending forgiveness. 

To Forgive is to be Free.🙋

The spirit / nature of forgiveness frees us from the burden of resentment, bitterness, hate and anger. It ushers in Peace and tranquility into one's heart. You don't need to bother about the "heart skips a beat" moment when you see a person who once offended you. 😁 In this state, one can honestly attempt to love God and his neighbor..and enemy as Christ Jesus commanded. As it is written, How can you love God whom you cannot see when you do not love the neighbor that you see? - 1 John 4:20

A true reflection of Christ.

With a true forgiving nature, one would most likely pray according to God's will. The nature of such a person's prayer would reflect the true nature of Jesus Christ- whom forgave his persecutors and prayed for them even until his last breath. Luke 23:24 . 

One thing I am certain of is that the art of forgiveness is one thing I must practice every moment of everyday. It is something I must do continuously in order for me to walk in grace and also that I too may obtain forgiveness from my Father who art in Heaven. 😊 

So forgive them, again and again..not by your power but by His Spirit..The Holy Spirit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Not Forget Me - PAPA

The Beauty in Pain & Suffering..😉

Oh Death, where is your sting? O Hades, where is your victory?